What exactly is remote proctoring and how does it work? Does it cause stress and anxiety or give dishonest people a way of cheating? Is remote proctoring right for assessments? If you wondering about any one of those questions then you’ve come to the right place!
We are going to discuss what remote proctoring is, how it works and if remote proctoring right for assessments – this is your guide to online proctoring.
Let’s get started!
Online proctoring is advanced technology that allows people to take assessments remotely. So no matter where you are, as long as you have a laptop/computer and a high-speed internet connection, you can take a test.
However, over the years critics have given them a bad rep, calling it things like “creepy” or “intrusive”.
What is an Online Proctor Exam
Remote online proctoring exams are tests that are taken on a student’s laptop from a remote location. During the exam, students are monitored typically through a webcam, mic, and access to the candidates’ screen.
How Does an Online Proctor Exams Work
There are several different types of proctoring exams. Depending on the type of exam being taken will determine how it works.
However, all that is needed to take one remains the same:
– An electronic device such as a laptop, tablet, or computer
– A webcam and mic
– A good internet connection
Let’s talk about the types of exams and how they differ.
Types of Proctoring
There are several different types of proctoring exams that individuals might be required to take:
In live proctoring exams, the candidates are monitored through a webcam, mic, and screen in real-time
Usually, during live exams, there are people in another remote location that are trained to monitor and ensure that students aren’t cheating during their exams.
Unlike a live one, during a recorded proctoring exam, there is no monitoring in real-time. Rather, during the exam everyone’s’ audio, video, and screens are recorded.
Then at a later time, a trained individual will review each of the recordings to ensure there were no suspicious activity or cheating.
The most advanced form of proctoring is automated. In this type of proctoring, the audio, video, and screens are recorded.
Along with it being recorded, the system has advanced technology that uses analytics to monitor for any red flags or cheating.
It also uses face recognition to guarantee student authentication, which further ensures no cheating.
This seems to be the best option for proctoring exams. It prevents scheduling issues for students and teachers. It is also much more cost-effective since no review is required unless an error was detected by the analytics or recognition system.
The Good and The Bad
As with anything, there are advantages and disadvantages to look over. Proctoring exams can be a great tool if used correctly, however, there are a few disadvantages to consider.
Let’s take a look at them!
What are the Advantages?
Remote proctoring had advantages that just make sense to use them.
1. There are many safeguards that prevent students from cheating in any kind of way. The proctors are well trained and know how to detect body language that hints at cheating.
Everything is recorded and reviewed; In the automated exam, the advanced technology uses analytics and face recognition that can detect and malpractice or cheating.
In an article, Reena Ghosh conducted a detailed review of cheating and countermeasures.
2. It’s very convenient and easy. it’s much easier and overall better to be able to take an exam at one’s home and on their own time rather than driving to a test center at a designated time. It can even be taken from your mobile device now.
This gives individuals complete flexibility and in turn, makes them happy and stress less!
3. Technology is constantly advancing and so is proctoring exams. Keyboard and touch screen analysis will be used to further used for additional safety matters.
Remote proctoring is an advanced technology that gives credibility to certification!
What are the Disadvantages?
There are 3 main disadvantages when it comes to remote proctoring
1. Using people proctors during a live proctoring exam can be uneven and not nearly as effective to monitor no cheating. However, this can easily be avoided by using advanced automated proctoring exams with face recognition and analytics monitoring.
2. When it comes to live or recorded proctoring exams, it can get expensive. But with the ease of automated proctoring, the price is greatly reduced and much more economical.
3. The third disadvantage to proctoring exams is the concern of privacy and stress. However, if test-takers are educated ahead of time about how exactly it works, then we can reduce stress and anxiety.
With advanced automated proctoring exams and educated students about exams ahead of time, all of these disadvantages can be avoided.
Is Remote Proctoring Right for Assessments?
Remote proctoring has a significant amount of advantages over onsite testing. It’s accessible, you can take the test anywhere at any time. It can even be taken from mobile now!
It’s convenient, no need to drive all the way to a test site on a specific day and time. It’s also cost-effective and even cheaper when using the automated advanced features.
Given these benefits, with little to no disadvantages, remote online proctoring is the future of taking exams. Take advantage of the flexibility of time, location, and reduced cost and start using remote proctoring today.